Thursday, June 20, 2013

Define American

So this weekend I was told that basically because I am poor and voted Democrat, that it is questionable about whether or not I am "anti-American". This same person, when I was 17 and pregnant, tried to get my to marry one of his illegal co-workers because, "he's a good worker and I'd hate to lose him." At which point I was accused of being racist because I wouldn't agree to it and marry someone I didn't love (not the first time mind you that this particular person accused me of such a thing). Tonight I sit here and think about what it means to be an American. As an American, it is our duty to follow the news, register to vote and select who we feel is the best candidate. To honor our country, accept the President elected by the people, obey laws and honor our flag. [I'm going to stop here for a moment to mention that honoring our flag does not include reciting the words "under God" but to stand up, place your right hand over your heart and pledge allegience to the flag of the United States of America.] We, as Americans are free to think for ourselves and believe whatever we desire to believe. I was born in the United States of America, I do support our Constitution. I believe ALL men, women and children were created equal, no matter race, gender, creed, color, religion, or sexual orientation. I am NOT anti-American, I am pro-humanity, pro-compassion, and pro-freedom of choice. Tonight I will go to bed proud to be Melodie Ann Bowman and the next time anyone tries to question my dedication to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (any damn way I see fit to find it) I will cut them out of my life for good.

Sometimes I just get tired of being told what to think/feel...

No comments:

Post a Comment